Dawn Grayson – Real name: Kay Kirkham – An auburn-haired enchantress from the Luton area who won the title of Miss Luton 1965. She was described as a housewife and model. Her appearances from the late 1950s to late 1960s were not limited to ToCo publications and some of her earlier work was with photographer Harrison Marks.
She came to fame in the early ‘60s when she appeared on Health and Safety at Work posters and in a series of advertisements for the Milk Marketing Board − but she was already a firm favourite of the Spick and Span cognoscenti of that era. Although a more professional model than those normally depicted in Spick, Span and Beautiful Britons, she still had the ability to portray the "girl-next-door" look that made the ToCo genre such international money-earners at that time. ToCo itself described as “the find of the year”, “one of the very best models we’ve discovered” and “the epitome of symphonic sex appeal”. She was certainly one of the company’s most popular models of directoire knickers but is another of the Top Ten who was rarely seen in fully fashioned stockings.
She apparently followed her electronics whiz kid of a husband to Maryland in the US in 1970, and it has been said that she continued her modelling career while out there. At some stage, though, she got her first film part after an audition at Pinewood. It is said that she loved gardening and landscape painting.
Text from vintage fetish
Filed under: Article, British, Models & starlets, Nudes Tagged: Dawn Grayson, Harrison Marks, Kay Kirkham, Miss Luton 1965, Spick and Span
|Download Vol 1 –>||Download Vol 4 –>|
SO, HER NAME REALLY IS BETTIE PAGE. What could be more suitable for this Betty Boop of the printed page – girlie mags of the 50′s, calendars, record and magazine covers etc. etc.
The dark Marilyn she has been called. Not a particularly profound observation – who could be darker than Marilyn? And, if we stick to the superficial – who could be more cheerful, not to say innocent, in her mischief than Bettie – whether it be swim-suit poses on a public beach or private photo sessions with leather and ropes?
Bettie Page is a woman of integrity, she does not reveal much about what was going on under the surface in this new coffee table book about her life and career, although she has submitted a short preface of her own hand. This is truly a 90′s product, an artifact from this present day, when the paraphernalia of assorted partial sexual drives have become household knowledge. At the same time the book emits the alleged naive charm of easily listenable music and cocktail parties of the 50′s – when cigarettes still were good for you and chronic fatigue syndrome was unheard of – not to mention women’s lib …
A powerful Bettie Page revival is going on right now, that is quite unmistakable. While working on this article, I had only to watch TV for a couple of days to see Bettie’s image flicker by three times: in the George Michael video Fast Love from this year, in the Swedish movie The Summer ("Sommaren", from 1995), directed by Kristian Petri, and in the John Waters movie Serial Mom from 1994.
Bettie Page never really fit into the stereotype of an American pin-up girl. Her measurements were hardly those of a Jane Mansfield, her lips were to thin, and if you look closely, you may see that she has a slow right eye. There were also something homespun about her bikinis. And they actually were, she designed and sew them herself.
Models came and went in rapid succession at this time. Few of them lasted for more than two or three years. Apart from Bettie, perhaps Diane Webber did. And very few of them appeared in both worlds – over and under the counter.
Text by Karl-Erik Tallmo from The Art Bin
Filed under: Models & starlets, Nudes, People, Photography, Pinups, The fifties, The seventies Tagged: 1978, 1980, Betty Page, Private Peeks, Vol 1, Vol 4
A digital recreation of an article published in Mood vol1 no1 in 1962
When you’ve got far enough along out of the ranks of the amateurs and have arrived at the point where you’re using professional models regularly, you’ll one day be very pleasantly surprised to realize that something new has been added to your life. You are now a casting director! You’re one of those characters they whisper all the stories about in show business. The very words "casting director" bring to mind a lucky guy leaning back with his feet on his desk in a plush and homey office complete with the all-important casting couch and a steady procession of young eager beauties parading through, pleading for his attention.
Read the whole article and see the full size images HERE
Warning: Nudity do occur in this article. If you are under age or live in a country where watching images of nude women for some reason are against the law I take no responsibility if you click the link above. In other words you’re flying solo from here on – Ted ;-)
Filed under: Article, Models & starlets, Nudes Tagged: 1962, Mood magazine
WESTMINSTER SCHOOL – This is Little Dean’s Yard, around which the main buildings of London’s most famous public school are grouped. The school (or St Peter”s College, as it is also called) dates back to the 14th century, but was refounded by Queen Elizabeth in 1560. From the early 17th century until 1884 almost all the boys were taught in the one great schoolroom, the upper school being divided from the lower school by a curtain hung over the oak beam, over which the pancake was tossed in the Shrove Tuesday ceremony. Among the headmasters of the school were Nicholas Udall, author of Ralph Roister Doister, Williamj Camden, the antiquary, and Dr Busby, famous both for his library and the ﬂoggings he carried out during his long headship from 1638 to 1695. Among the distinguished pupils were Ben Jonson, Hakluyt, Dryden, Wren, Southey, Warren Hastings, Gibbon, Froude, Charles Wesley, Matthew Prior and William Cowper.
From “Country Life Picture Book of London” with photos by G F Allen
Filed under: British, Facts, The fifties Tagged: 1959, London, Westminster School
Somerset (i/ˈsʌmərsɛt/ or /ˈsʌmərsɨt/) is a county in South West England which borders Gloucestershire to the north,Wiltshire to the east, Dorset to the south-east and Devon to the south-west. It is bounded to the north and west by the Bristol Channel and the estuary of the River Severn, its coastline facing south eastern Wales. Its traditional northern border is the River Avon. Somerset’s county town is Taunton.
Somerset is a rural county of rolling hills such as the Blackdown Hills, Mendip Hills, Quantock Hills and Exmoor National Park, and large flat expanses of land including the Somerset Levels. There is evidence of human occupation from Palaeolithic times, and of subsequent settlement in the Roman and Anglo-Saxon periods. The county played a significant part in the consolidation of power and rise of King Alfred the Great, and later in the English Civil War and the Monmouth Rebellion.
Agriculture is a major business in the county. Farming of sheep and cattle, including for wool and the county’s famous cheeses (most notably Cheddar), are traditional and contemporary, as is the more unusual cultivation of willow for basket weaving. Apple orchards were once plentiful, and Somerset is still known for the production of strong cider. Unemployment is lower than the national average; the largest employment sectors are retail, manufacturing, tourism, and health and social care. Population growth in the county is higher than the national average.
Main article: History of Somerset
The caves of the Mendip Hills were settled during the Palaeolithic period, and contain extensive archaeological sites such as those at Cheddar Gorge. Bones from Gough’s Cave have been dated to 12,000 BC, and a complete skeleton, known as Cheddar Man, dates from 7150 BC. Examples of cave art have been found in caves such as Aveline’s Hole. Some caves continued to be occupied until modern times, including Wookey Hole.
The Somerset Levels—specifically the dry points such as Glastonbury and Brent Knoll— also have a long history of settlement, and are known to have been settled by Mesolithic hunters. Travel in the area was helped by the construction of one of the world’s oldest known engineered roadways, the Sweet Track, which dates from 3807 BC or 3806 BC.
The exact age of the henge monument at Stanton Drew stone circles is unknown, but it is believed to be Neolithic. There are numerous Iron Age hill forts, some of which, like Cadbury Castle and Ham Hill, were later reoccupied in the Early Middle Ages.
On the authority of the future emperor Vespasian, as part of the ongoing expansion of the Roman presence in Britain, the Second Legion Augusta invaded Somerset from the south-east in AD 47. The county remained part of the Roman Empire until around AD 409, when the Roman occupation of Britain came to an end. A variety of Roman remains have been found, including Pagans Hill Roman Temple in Chew Stoke, Low Ham Roman Villa and the Roman Baths that gave their name to the city of Bath.
After the Romans left, Britain was invaded by Anglo-Saxon peoples. By AD 600 they had established control over much of what is now England, but Somerset was still in native British hands. The British held back Saxon advance into the south-west for some time longer, but by the early eighth century King Ine of Wessex had pushed the boundaries of the West Saxon kingdom far enough west to include Somerset. The Saxon royal palace in Cheddar was used several times in the 10th century to host the Witenagemot. After the Norman Conquest, the county was divided into 700 fiefs, and large areas were owned by the crown, with fortifications such as Dunster Castle used for control and defence. Somerset contains HMP Shepton Mallet, England’s oldest prison still in use, which opened in 1610. In the English Civil War Somerset was largely Parliamentarian, with key engagements being the Siege of Taunton and the Battle of Langport. In 1685 the Monmouth Rebellion was played out in Somerset and neighbouring Dorset. The rebels landed at Lyme Regis and travelled north, hoping to capture Bristol and Bath, but they were defeated in the Battle of Sedgemoor at Westonzoyland, the last pitched battle fought in England. Arthur Wellesley took his title, Duke of Wellington from the town of Wellington; he is commemorated on a nearby hill by a large, spotlit obelisk, known as the Wellington Monument.
The Industrial Revolution in the Midlands and Northern England spelled the end for most of Somerset’s cottage industries. Farming continued to flourish, however, and the Bath and West of England Society for the Encouragement of Agriculture, Arts, Manufactures and Commerce was founded in 1777 to improve farming methods. Despite this, 20 years later John Billingsley conducted a survey of the county’s agriculture in 1795 and found that agricultural methods could still be improved. Coal mining was an important industry in north Somerset during the 18th and 19th centuries, and by 1800 it was prominent in Radstock. The Somerset Coalfield reached its peak production by the 1920s, but all the pits have now been closed, the last in 1973. Most of the surface buildings have been removed, and apart from a winding wheel outside Radstock Museum, little evidence of their former existence remains. Further west, the Brendon Hills were mined for iron ore in the late 19th century; this was taken by rail to Watchet Harbour for shipment to the furnaces at Ebbw Vale.
Many Somerset soldiers died during the First World War, with the Somerset Light Infantry suffering nearly 5,000 casualties. War memorials were put up in most of the county’s towns and villages; only nine, described as the Thankful Villages, had none of their residents killed. During the Second World War the county was a base for troops preparing for the D-Day landings. Some of the hospitals which were built for the casualties of the war remain in use. The Taunton Stop Line was set up to repel a potential German invasion. The remains of its pill boxes can still be seen along the coast, and south through Ilminster and Chard.
A number of decoy towns were constructed in Somerset in World War II to protect Bristol and other towns, at night. They were designed to mimic the geometry of “blacked out” streets, railway lines, and Bristol Temple Meads railway station, to encourage bombers away from these targets. One, on the radio beam flight path to Bristol, was constructed on Beacon Batch. It was laid out by Shepperton Film Studios, based on aerial photographs of the city’s railway marshalling yards. The decoys were fitted with dim red lights, simulating activities like the stoking of steam locomotives. Burning bales of straw soaked in creosote were used to simulate the effects of incendiary bombs dropped by the first wave of Pathfinder night bombers; meanwhile, incendiary bombs dropped on the correct location were quickly smothered, wherever possible. Drums of oil were also ignited to simulate the effect of a blazing city or town, with the aim of fooling subsequent waves of bombers into dropping their bombs on the wrong location. The Chew Magna decoy town was hit by half-a-dozen bombs on 2 December 1940, and over a thousand incendiaries on 3 January 1941. The following night the Uphill decoy town, protecting Weston-super-Mare‘s airfield, was bombed; a herd of dairy cows was hit, killing some and severely injuring others.
Main article: Transport in Somerset
Somerset has 6,531 km (4,058 mi) of roads. The main arterial routes, which include the M5 motorway, A303, A37, A38 and A39, give good access across the county, but many areas can only be accessed via narrow lanes. Rail services are provided by the West of England Main Line through Yeovil, the Bristol to Taunton Line,Heart of Wessex Line which runs from Bristol to Weymouth and the Reading to Taunton line. Bristol Airport provides national and international air services.
The Somerset Coal Canal was built in the early 19th century to reduce the cost of transportation of coal and other heavy produce. The first 16 kilometres (10 mi), running from a junction with the Kennet and Avon Canal, along the Cam valley, to a terminal basin at Paulton, were in use by 1805, together with several tramways. A planned 11.7 km (7.3 mi) branch to Midford was never built, but in 1815 a tramway was laid along its towing path. In 1871 the tramway was purchased by the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway (S&DJ Rand operated until the 1950s.
The 19th century saw improvements to Somerset’s roads with the introduction of turnpikes, and the building of canals and railways. Nineteenth-century canals included the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal, Westport Canal, Glastonbury Canal and Chard Canal. The Dorset and Somerset Canal was proposed, but little of it was ever constructed and it was abandoned in 1803.
The usefulness of the canals was short-lived, though some have now been restored for recreation. The 19th century also saw the construction of railways to and through Somerset. The county was served by five pre-1923 Grouping railway companies: the Great Western Railway (GWR); a branch of the Midland Railway (MR) to Bath Green Park (and another one to Bristol); the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway, and the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR). The former main lines of the GWR are still in use today, although many of its branch lines were scrapped. The former lines of the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway closed completely, as has the branch of the Midland Railway to Bath Green Park (and to Bristol St Philips); however, the L&SWR survived as a part of the present West of England Main Line. None of these lines, in Somerset, are electrified. Two branch lines, the West and East Somerset Railways, were rescued and transferred back to private ownership as “heritage” lines. The fifth railway was a short-lived light railway, the Weston, Clevedon and Portishead Railway. The West Somerset Mineral Railway carried the iron ore from the Brendon Hills to Watchet.
Until the 1960s the piers at Weston-super-Mare, Clevedon, Portishead and Minehead were served by the paddle steamers of P and A Campbell who ran regular services to Barry and Cardiff as well as Ilfracombe and Lundy Island. The pier at Burnham-on-Sea was used for commercial goods, one of the reasons for the Somerset and Dorset Railway was to provide a link between the Bristol Channel and the English Channel. The pier at Burnham-on-Sea is the shortest pier in the UK. In the 1970s the Royal Portbury Dock was constructed to provide extra capacity for the Port of Bristol.
For long-distance holiday traffic travelling through the county to and from Devon and Cornwall, Somerset is often regarded as a marker on the journey. North–south traffic moves through the county via the M5 Motorway. Traffic to and from the east travels either via the A303 road, or the M4 Motorway, which runs east–west, crossing the M5 just beyond the northern limits of the county.
Text from Wikipedia
Filed under: British, Ephemera, Holidays, Traveling Tagged: British Railways, Somerset
A contraption out of time, Seattle’s Mystery Soda Machine dispenses cans of sugary pop for just 75 cents, and while no one knows who stocks this aging landmark, the real question is what it will spit out when the “Mystery” button is pressed.
On the corner of John Street and 10th Avenue East, in the heart of Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood lies the world’s most mysterious soda vending machine. Nobody knows the true history of the rusting machine, which looks like it was spat straight out of the Seventies, but locals continue to plunk down their change and the machine never seems to run out of stock. Who first installed the outdoor machine, who stocks it, and who collects the money are all a mystery.
The modern antique offers a comparatively limited selection of drinks with yellowed plastic buttons offering Coke, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, and Barq’s, but the intriguing button marked “Mystery” generally produces none of these. According to one report, after spending five dollars in change on the mystery button, the machine produced six different brand of soda, none of which had their own button on the machine.
Given the air of the unknown that surrounds the vending relic, many locals have tried to divine the origins of the machine and its endless wellspring of name-brand soda, but so far no answers have been forthcoming, no matter how many times the “Mystery” button is pressed.
Text from AtlasObscra
Filed under: Facts, Places Tagged: Mysteries, Soda machines
Aunt Mabel is not the greatest of cooks and once when she visited at young Johnny and his family she asked Johnny’s mother what one usually stuffed turkeys with. “You just take whatever you like” His mother answered adding “Apples, sausage meat and herbs, bread stuffing, You know whatever you like.” Aunt Mabel loves hamburgers, so she stuffed her turkey with that.
Filed under: Humour, Tackieness Tagged: Aunt Mabel, Hamburgers, Turkey stuffing
Eva Lynd was born on September 2, 1937 in Örgryte, Sweden as Eva Inga Margareta Von Fielitz. She is an actress, known for That Lady from Peking (1975), Stalag 13 (1965) and The Texan (1958). She has been married to Warren Munson since June 24, 1978.
During the decades when men’s adventure magazines were being published, Eva Lynd was best known as an actress and a glamour photography model.
In the late 1950s, she was a frequent guest on the The Steve Allan Show, one of the most influential and widely-watched early TV variety shows.
As noted in her IMDB.com entry (which seems woefully incomplete) Eva appeared in episodes of a number of other popular television shows from the late Fifties to the early Eighties, including The Thin Man; Peter Gunn, Hogan’s Heroes and Cagney & Lacey, sometimes credited under her birth name Eva von Fielitz.
She also has a notable place in TV advertising history, as the sexy babe who emerges from the tube of hair goop in Brylcreem’s “Girl the Tube” TV commercial.
Entertainment Magazine named that ad one of the “50 Best Commercials of All Time.”
Alluring glamour photos of Eva Lynd were featured on covers of and inside many of the vintage “girlie magazines” published in the Fifties and Sixties, including Caper, Dude, Follies, Gala Modern Man and Scamp. Pics of Eva also showed up in newspapers and mainstream magazines.
And, cheesecake photos of her — sometimes credited as Eva Lynd and sometimes as Eva von Fielitz — graced the pages of a number of men’s pulp adventure magazines from those decades, such as Adventure and Action Man.
But beautiful, blonde Eva Lynd has a much more prominent place in men’s pulp mag history than most glamour girls. That’s because she was a favourite female model of Norm Eastman, the illustration artist who created many of the most iconic, most popular and most notorious cover paintings for the subgenre of men’s adventure periodicals commonly called “sweat magazines.”
In many Eastman cover paintings, Eva was the model for one of the gorgeous damsels in distress who are bound and tortured by sadistic Nazis, Commies or some other evil fiends.
Text from menspulpmags.com
Filed under: Article, Models & starlets, Nudes, The fifties, The seventies, The sixties Tagged: Eva Inga Margareta Von Fielitz, Eva Lynd, Stalag 13, That Lady from Peking, The Texan
Let’s see how well you have studied classic celebrity backsides visitors.
The question is simple; Who’s famous ass is this?
Tip: She was born in 1902 and died in 1968 and she
is best known for he part in Alfred Hitchcock’s “Lifeboat”
And as some of you guessed last weeks ass belonged to Marilyn Monroe
- Actress from Alfred Hitchcock classic ‘The Birds’ to speak in Omaha (radioiowa.com)
- Halloween is Almost here, Alfred Hitchcock book covers (markosun.wordpress.com)
- The lighter side of Alfred Hitchcock (vickielester.com)
Filed under: People, Photography Tagged: Guess That Ass, Saturday Quiz
A digital recreation of an article from Ace Magazine
An apartment hunter’s dream, with a piano to boot, comes true for Susan, who by the way is a bit of a dream herself.
Even in rent-controlled New York City, a bargain in flats is hard to come by. However, possessing a sharp eye, as well as many friends, Susan was able to score with an unusual find in the recently restored Chelsea area. She considers her three-year lease a new lease on life for her.
Read the whole article and se the naughty pictures both in black&white and colour HERE
Warning: Nudity do occur in this article. If you are under age or live in a country where watching images of nude women for some reason is against the law I take no responsibility if you click the link above. In other words you’re flying solo from here on – Ted ;-)
Filed under: Article, Models & starlets, Nudes Tagged: 1964, Ace magazine, Gloria Dawn
In 1932, he set out to create a comic strip that would be as popular to adults as the famous ‘Pip, Squeak and Wilfred‘ was to children. And so, Jane was created. For the first few years, Pett’s wife Mary modelled for him but eventually he started to use professional models instead, the most famous of which was Chrystabel Leighton-Porter who modelled for him during World War Two. Until the war, Jane had a little daily funny story, but at the start of the war, she became a continuous story.
“The turning point in Jane’s career, when she became a success was when we turned her from a daily joke into a continuous story. In other words, when she was stripped in both senses of the term,” Pett told Pathé News in 1943.
Pett retired from drawing Jane after drawing her for 16 years in 1948, and the strip was continued by Michael Hubbard.
Filed under: Comix, Humour, Illustration Tagged: English Cartoonists, Janr cartoons, Norman Pett, Wartime cartoons, WWII
Trying to impress Aunt Mabel is not for just any man. And when he has failed to do so her facial expression leaves no doubt about the failure. She can hold her booze better than the best of them so a little drunken dance (if that is what this is, its hard to tell if he’s dancing or just simply stretching) is far cry from impressing
our auntie. My guess is that he’ll be stricken from the invitation list from now on.
And should he turn up uninvited, aunt Mabel have remedies for such unheard of behaviour. He wont be the first man to leave aunt Mabel’s house with an ass full of bird shots. And he wont be the last to end up at the emergency room with his bum in the air with giggling nurses picking aunt Mabel’s lead out with tweezers either.
Filed under: Humour, Photography, Tackieness Tagged: Drunken dance, Shot in the ass, Unimpressing behaviour
Before there were Hippies, there were Beatniks. Beatniks were followers of the Beat Generation – influential poets and authors through the late 1940s to the early ’60s. Jack Kerouac came up with the “beat generation” concept – the underground, anti-conformist youth gathering in New York that he was a part of. He also related the term to the Biblical beatitudes and the hipster phrase of being “beaten down”. Though at first Beatniks had a prophet-like connotation, the term came to signify a stereotype of people that, as Joyce Johnson (a Beat writer) said: “sold books, sold black turtleneck sweaters and bongos, berets and dark glasses, sold a way of life that seemed like dangerous fun—thus to be either condemned or imitated.” They were anti-materialistic, soul searching people, open to drugs and a bohemian lifestyle. They hung out in smoky coffeehouses, listened to jazz and blues, were usually proficient in art or poetry, liked to dress in all-black, and had an air of mysteriousness about them. They highly influenced culture of the decades following – Bob Dylan, the Beatles, and Pink Floyd took on Beatnik characteristics and morphed in to free-thinking hippies. Allen Ginsberg led the way for the conversion.
Text and images found on Vintage everyday
Filed under: People, Photography, The fifties, The sixties Tagged: Beatniks, The beat generation