Quantcast
Channel: Retrorambling
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.
0

The Sunday Comic – A Fresh Start

This Week’s Girliemag Article – Maybelline And Those Wires

0
0

img_003headingMaybelline works as a model for one of those weird modern sculptors. He does things with metal, shaping it in a thousand ways. Some of his things hang from restaurant ceilings or hotel lobbies. Maybe you’ve seen them.

Read the whole article and see
the naughty pictures HERE

Warning: Nudity do occur in this article. If you are under age or live in a country where watching images of nude women for some reason  are against the law  I take no responsibility if you click the link above. In other words you’re flying solo from here on – Ted ;-)

 


Filed under: Article, Models & starlets, Pin-ups, The sixties Tagged: 1962, Girlie mags, Wench magazine

London Anno 1959 – Part 15

0
0

bobble_015_img
LOOKING DOWN WHITEHALL -The statue, seen just to the right of the Big Ben tower, is of the Duke of Cambridge, who lived from 1819 until 1904 and was Commander-in-Chief of the British Army from 1856 to 1895. The sculptor was Adrian Jones, he was also responsible for the Quadriga in Constitution Hill, the Royal Marines monument in the Mall and the Cavalry War Memorial at Stanhope Gate, Hyde Park and it stands almost opposite the Horse Guards, where the Duke worked for so many years. This was before the present War Office was erected on the other side of the street. Many other government buildings are also in Whitehall, including the Admiralty, the Foreign Office, the Home Office and the Treasury. The first building on the left in this picture is the Banqueting House, designed by Inigo Jones for Whitehall Palace, while behind the tree on the right of the picture the Cenotaph can just be seen.

From “Country Life Picture Book of London” with photos by G F Allen

Related articles

Filed under: Photography, The fifties Tagged: 1959, Adrian Jones, Duke of Cambridge, Inigo Jones, London, Whitehall

Jack Delano: Tap Dancing Class At Iowa State College, 1942

Round Britain By Railway Posters – Shrewsbury

0
0

shrewsbury
Shrewsbury (Listeni/ˈʃrzbri/ or Listeni/ˈʃrzbri/) is the county town of Shropshire, in the West Midlands of England, on theRiver Severn. It has a population of approximately 72,000 and is the second largest town in Shropshire, after Telford.

a1076_shrewsbury_02Shrewsbury is a historic market town whose town centre has a largely unaltered medieval street plan and over 660listed buildings, including several examples of timber framing from the 15th and 16th centuries. Shrewsbury Castle, a red sandstone fortification, and Shrewsbury Abbey, a former Benedictine monastery, were founded in 1074 and 1083 respectively by the Norman Earl of Shrewsbury, Roger de Montgomery.

The Shrewsbury Flower Show is one of the largest horticultural events in the country of England.

Today, 9 miles (14 km) east of the Welsh border, Shrewsbury serves as the commercial centre for Shropshire and mid-Wales, with a retail output of over £299 million per year. There are some light industry and distribution centres, such as Battlefield Enterprise Park, mainly on the outskirts. The A5 and A49 trunk roads cross near to the town, as do five railway lines at Shrewsbury railway station.

Early history

a1076_shrewsbury_03The town was possibly the site of the capital of Powys, known to the ancient Britons as Pengwern, signifying "the alder hill";[ and in Old English as Scrobbesburh (dative Scrobbesbyrig), which has several meanings; "fort in the scrub-land region", "Scrobb’s fort", "shrubstown" or "the town of the bushes". This name gradually evolved in three directions, into Sciropscire, which became Shropshire; into Sloppesberie, which became Salop/Salopia (an alternative name for both town and county), and into Schrosberie, which eventually became the town’s name, Shrewsbury. Its Welsh name Amwythigmeans "fortified place".

a1076_shrewsbury_04It is believed that Anglo-Saxon Shrewsbury was most probably a settlement fortified through the use of earthworks comprising a ditch and rampart, which were then shored up with a wooden stockade.

Nearby is the village of Wroxeter, 5 miles (8 km) to the south-east, site of the now ruined Roman city of Viroconium Cornoviorum. Viroconium was the fourth largest civitas capital in Roman Britain. As Caer Guricon it may have served as the early Dark Age capital of the kingdom of Powys. The Shrewsbury area’s regional importance in the Roman era was recently underlined with the discovery of the Shrewsbury Hoard in 2009.

a1076_shrewsbury_05Over the ages, the geographically important town has been the site of many conflicts, particularly between the English and Welsh. Shrewsbury was the seat of the Princes of Powis for many years; however, the Angles, under King Offa of Mercia, took possession of it in 778.

There is evidence to show that by the beginning of the 900’s, Shrewsbury was home to a mint.

Medieval

The Welsh again besieged it in 1069, but were repelled by William the Conqueror. Roger de Montgomery was given the town as a gift from William, and built Shrewsbury Castle in 1074, taking the title of Earl. The 3rd Earl, Robert of Bellême was deposed in 1102, in consequence of taking part in the rebellion against Henry I.

a1076_shrewsbury_06In 1138, King Stephen successfully besieged the castle held by William FitzAlan for the Empress Maud during the period known as The Anarchy.

It was in the late Middle Ages (14th and 15th centuries) when the town was at its height of commercial importance. This was mainly due to the wool trade, a major industry at the time, with the rest of Britain and Europe, especially with the River Severn and Watling Street as trading routes.

In 1403 the Battle of Shrewsbury was fought a few miles north of the town centre, at Battlefield; it was fought between King Henry IV and Henry Hotspur Percy, with the King emerging victorious, an event celebrated in William Shakespeare‘s Henry IV, Part 1, Act 5.

a1076_shrewsbury_08Shrewsbury’s monastic gathering was disbanded with the Dissolution of the Monasteries and as such the Abbey was closed in 1540. However, it is believed that Henry VIII thereafter intended to make Shrewsbury a cathedral city after the formation of the Church of England, but the citizens of the town declined the offer. Despite this, Shrewsbury throve throughout the 16th and 17th centuries; largely due to the town’s fortuitous location, which allowed it to control the Welsh wool trade. As a resultant a number of grand edifices, including the 1575 Ireland’s Mansion and 1658 Draper’s Hall, were constructed. It was also in this period thatEdward VI gave permission for the foundation of a free school, which was later to become Shrewsbury School.

Early Modern

a1076_shrewsbury_09During the English Civil War, the town was a Royalist stronghold and only fell to Parliament forces after they were let in by a parliamentarian sympathiser at the St Mary’s Water Gate (now also known as Traitor’s Gate). Shrewsbury Unitarian Church was founded in 1662. By the 18th century Shrewsbury had become an important market town and stop off for stagecoaches travelling between London and Holyhead on their way to Ireland; this led to the establishment of a number of coaching inns, many of which, such as the Lion Hotel, are extant to this day.

Local soldier and statesman Robert Clive was Shrewsbury’s MP from 1762 until his death in 1774. Clive also served once as the town’s mayor in 1762.

a1076_shrewsbury_10St Chad’s Church collapsed in 1788 after attempts to expand the crypt compromised the structural integrity of the tower above; it was, however, rebuilt just four years later as a large neo-classical round church in a new location close to the Quarry Park.

In the period directly after Napoleon‘s surrender after Waterloo, the town’s own 53rd (Shropshire) Regiment of Foot was sent to guard him in his exile on St Helena. A locket containing a lock of the emperor’s hair (presented to an officer of the 53rd) remains, to this day, in the collections of the Shropshire Regimental Museum at Shrewsbury Castle.


Filed under: British, Ephemera, Holidays, Traveling Tagged: British Railways, Shrewsbury

This Week’s Softdrink – Barritt’s Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer

0
0

Bermuda loves Barritt’s Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer, a zesty ginger soft drink, that has been bottled continuously since 1874.

a1078_barrits_07

Barritt’s Ginger beer is distributed in Bermuda by John Barritt & Son Ltd. a family owned and operated soft drink firm that has been going for 5 generations.

While Barritt’s Ginger Beer can be enjoyed alone it is a versatile mixer adding spice to rum, vodka, beer or exotic liqueurs. Barritt’s Ginger Beer also features in a number of island recipes for cakes, jams marmalades, sauces and festive fruit punch.

a1078_barrits_06

Barritt’s Ginger Beer is available island wide in 12oz cans and 20oz, 1 litre and 2 litre bottles. It is also available in convenient 12 or 24 can travel packs, and try Barritt’s Diet Ginger Beer for that great ginger flavour with zero calories.

History of Ginger Beer

a1078_barrits_01Ginger Beer originated in England from its predecessors Mead & Metheglin. Metheglin was a naturally carbonated, yeast-fermented honey beverage, which often included spices such as ginger, cloves and mace.

Originally Ginger Beer also included special yeast for fermentation and was sweetened with honey, molasses or sugar cane. After brewing the Ginger Beer was poured into stone bottles then corked to maintain the natural effervescence.

Up through the mid-1800’s many Ginger Beers contained a significant amount of alcohol (about 11%). Limitations in England in 1855 required that non-excisable beverages contain less than 2% alcohol, which led bottlers of Ginger Beer to dilute their brewed concentrate with carbonated water.

History Barritt’s Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer

a1078_barrits_05William John Barritt came to Bermuda from England in 1839 to work in law enforcement. He eventually became Head Jailer at the old Hamilton Jail. He left the Prison Service when his request for a pay increase to support his wife and 12 children was denied.

In 1874 W.J. opened a dry goods shop on the corner of Front & King Streets in Hamilton, with a small mineral water bottling machine in the back room. This is where Barritt’s Ginger Beer started.

W.J. Barritt died the same year he started the firm and his son John Barritt took over. The business has remained in the family ever since, becoming John Barritt & Son when Frederick G. Barritt joined the firm in 1903. Fred’s sons Leon and Bobby joined the firm in 1923 and 1950 respectively and today the fifth generation of the Barritt family, Bruce and Fred, continue the proud Heritage of selling Bermuda’s Best Beverages, including Barritt’s Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer.

a1078_barrits_03
Text from BarrittsGingerBeer


Help Needed

I need your help visitors, both in suggesting sodas and soft drinks from around the world and in giving your opinion on the ones presented if you know the product. And you can start with giving your opinion on the ones posted already or reading what other visitors have written  – Ted

List of Soft drinks and sodas posted already
Visitors soft drinks and sodas suggestions and comments

Related articles

Filed under: Food & drinks, Soft drinks and sodas Tagged: Barritt's Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer, Bermuda, John Barritt & Son Ltd

The life & Times Of Aunt Mabel – Part 21

0
0

header_image_aunt_mabel112

Last week we got a glimpse at how Aunt Mabel treated religious people that turned up at her doorstep, but they were the fortunate ones. Aunt Mable’s foul language may have sent the most timid among them both into coma or into homes for the bewildered and baffled. The pest repellent she used on door salesmen on the other hand was lethal.

The door salesmen are gone for good, at least round my neck of the woods, but we have another pest these days, the telephone salesmen. Had it been possible to use Aunt Mabel’s technique on door salesmen on them I would have considered it –Ted


Filed under: Humour, People, Photography, Tackieness Tagged: Aunt Mabel, Door salesmen, Pest repellent

You Better Watch Out….

Didn’t I tell You To Watch Out!

The Cyprus Alarm Clock

Saturday Quiz: Guess That Ass

0
0

a1081_guess that ass

Let’s see how well you have studied classic celebrity backsides visitors.
The question is simple; Who’s famous ass is this?

The “Saturday Quiz: Guess That Ass” will appear every Saturday from now on
and scheduled  posts are already finished up to January 10th 2015.
The correct answer will be revealed on the next saturday’s quiz – Ted


Filed under: People, Photography Tagged: Saturday Quiz

The Sunday Comic – A Sweet Revenge

This Week’s Girliemag Article – Unsinkable Harriet Geller

0
0

img_002You’d better believe a mermaid like Harriet doesn’t need a pair of water wings. She could go down with any sinking sea captain and beat him to the surface. So for all outdoorsmen who like aquatic sports … here’s the Geller gill girl. We sent an undercover agent on this job, but you can see he turned out to be an underwater sneak

Read the whole article and see
the naughty pictures HERE

Warning: Nudity do occur in this article. If you are under age or live in a country where watching images of nude women for some reason  are against the law  I take no responsibility if you click the link above. In other words you’re flying solo from here on – Ted ;-)


Filed under: Article, Glamour, Models & starlets, Pin-ups, The sixties Tagged: 1968, Giriemags, Girls Girls Girls Magazine, Glamour models, Harriet Geller

Zeppelin Memories

0
0

a1081_zep_01

On-board mocca set of airship Graf Zeppelin, 1928.
Heinrich & Co., Selb, Photo: © Porzellanikon.

a1081_zep_02

The shown lounge is on the much-advanced Hindenburg. The Graf only had a combination dining room/lounge in the centre of her passenger gondola (decorated in 20s version of traditional style), as opposed to the generous spaces afforded by the in-hull built accommodations of the Hindenburg.

a1081_zep_03

Graf Zeppelin over Capitol, 1928, the German airship on its visit to Washington. Unknown photographer. Source.

Images and text found on Design is fine. History is mine


Filed under: Aviation, The twenties Tagged: 1928, Graf Zeppelin, Hindenburg Zeppelin

Route 66 Memories

0
0

Although entrepreneurs Cyrus Avery of Tulsa, Oklahoma, and John Woodruff of Springfield, Missouri deserve most of the credit for promoting the idea of an interregional link between Chicago and Los Angeles, their lobbying efforts were not realized until their dreams merged with the national program of highway and road development.

a1082_66_01
In the early days, it was common to travel Route 66 in a caravan for
protection and support. Ca 1927

While legislation for public highways first appeared in 1916, with revisions in 1921, it was not until Congress enacted an even more comprehensive version of the act in 1925 that the government executed its plan for national highway construction.

a1082_66_02
A brave, or foolish motorist heads out alone on Route 66 across California’s Mojave Desert in the midday heat. Ca 1943

Officially, the numerical designation 66 was assigned to the Chicago-to-Los Angeles route in the summer of 1926. With that designation came its acknowledgment as one of the nation’s principal east-west arteries.

a1082_66_03
Up through the 1950s, camping remained the most popular way to spend the night on Route 66. Although there are still campgrounds along the Route, most travelers today enjoy the comfort of staying in motels and eating in restaurants. Ca 1951

From the outset, public road planners intended U.S. 66 to connect the main streets of rural and urban communities along its course for the most practical of reasons: most small towns had no prior access to a major national thoroughfare.

a1082_66_04

Chas Jacob’s Painted Desert Trading Post featured just about anything a Route 66 tourist would want. Ca 1957

a1082_66_05
The Stoney Dell Pool/Restaurant/Entertainment roadside stop in Arlington, MO was typical of the centers that sprung up in the 1930s and 40s along Route 66 to accommodate hot, hungry, thirsty travelers. They were also popular with local residents. Ca 1948

Images and text found on national66.org


Filed under: Americana, Automobiles, Transportation, Traveling Tagged: American highways, Automotive history, Route 66

The Forgotten Ones – Silvana Pampanini

0
0

forgotten onesa1083_Silvana Pampanini_01
Silvana Pampanini (born 25 September 1925) is an Italian actress. She was Miss Italy in 1946 and the following year she started her movie career.

Life and career

a1083_Silvana Pampanini_02a1083_Silvana Pampanini_03

Born in Rome, she became one of the most popular movie actresses in her country and was considered a sex symbol in the 1950s. In 1955 she visited New York, Denver and Hollywood but rejected job offers because she could not speak English properly and had some problems with the tax office.

a1083_Silvana Pampanini_10a1083_Silvana Pampanini_04

She was also popular in France, where they nicknamed her Ninì Pampan, Spain, where she worked in Tirma, South America, especially in Mexico, where she starred in Sed de Amor with Pedro Armendáriz, and Egypt. She appeared with other internationally important actors and directors such as Buster Keaton, Vittorio Gassman, Marcello Mastroianni, Alberto Sordi, Totò, Jean Gabin, Henri Vidal, Abel Gance, Vittorio De Sica. She preceded the more popular Italian stars Sophia Loren and Gina Lollobrigida who worked as extras in some of her early films. According to the press, she flirted with personalities such as Tyrone Power, William Holden, Orson Welles, Omar Sharif, George DeWitt, Marcos Pérez Jiménez and Fidel Castro; nevertheless, she never married and had no children.

a1083_Silvana Pampanini_13a1083_Silvana Pampanini_14

Her success was not long-lasting and in the 1960s she left the movie career to take care of her parents, preferring to appear now and then on radio and television. Additionally, she is Rosetta Pampanini‘s niece, an Italian soprano. In fact, before she became a movie star, she wanted to become an opera singer. In 1996 she published Shockingly Respectable, her autobiography written in Italian language.

a1083_Silvana Pampanini_11a1083_Silvana Pampanini_12a1083_Silvana Pampanini_05a1083_Silvana Pampanini_09

Text from Wikipedia 


Filed under: Actresses, Models & starlets, The fifties, The sixties Tagged: 1950s sex symbol, 1960s, Italian actresses, Miss Italy 1946, Silvana Pampanini

This Week’s Softdrink – Delaware Punch

0
0

a1084_delaware punch_08header_image_softdrinks

Delaware Punch is a fruit-flavoured soft drink. Its formula uses a blend of fruit flavours, with grape being the most prominent. It is not carbonated and caffeine-free.

a1084_delaware punch_01Delaware Punch was created by Thomas E. Lyons in 1913. The brand is currently owned by The Coca-Cola Company.

The beverage is difficult to find, but is still sold in some grocery stores in Louisiana, Arkansas, and Texas, and some restaurants in Houston. Delaware Punch can also be found for sale on eBay. Delaware Punch concentrate can be purchased from several online soft drink retailers. The bottled form is sold in Guatemala and Mexico, but is currently banned in much of the United States due to a colouring agent, allura red, used. Delaware Punch was commonly sold at the New Orleans drug store chain K&B, before it was bought by Rite Aid in 1997.

Delaware Punch is named for the Delaware grape cultivar from which its flavour is derived. The grape was first grown in Delaware County, Ohio, and the drink therefore has no affiliation with the state of Delaware.

Text from Wikipedia 

a1084_delaware punch_14


Help Needed

I need your help visitors, both in suggesting sodas and soft drinks from around the world and in giving your opinion on the ones presented if you know the product. And you can start with giving your opinion on the ones posted already or reading what other visitors have written  – Ted

List of Soft drinks and sodas posted already
Visitors soft drinks and sodas suggestions and comments

Related articles

Filed under: Food & drinks, Soft drinks and sodas Tagged: 1913, Delaware grape, Delaware Punch, Thomas E. Lyons

Round Britain By Railway Posters – Snowdon

0
0

snowdon
Snowdon (Welsh: Yr Wyddfa, pronounced [əɾ ˈwɨ̞ðva]) is the highest mountain in Wales, at an elevation of 1,085 metres (3,560 ft) above sea level, and the highest point in the British Isles outside the Scottish Highlands. It is located inSnowdonia National Park (Parc Cenedlaethol Eryri) in Gwynedd, and has been described as "probably the busiest mountain in Britain". It is designated as a national nature reserve for its rare flora and fauna.

a1085_snowdon_02
Richard Wilson – View of Snowdon from Llyn Nantlle

The rocks that form Snowdon were produced by volcanoes in the Ordovician period, and the massif has been extensively sculpted by glaciation, forming the pyramidal peak of Snowdon and the arêtes of Crib Goch and Y Lliwedd. The cliff faces on Snowdon, including Clogwyn Du’r Arddu, are significant for rock climbing, and the mountain was used by Edmund Hillary in training for the 1953 ascent of Mount Everest.

Snowdon offers some of the best views in Britain. The summit can be reached by a number of well-known paths, and by the Snowdon Mountain Railway, a rack and pinion railway opened in 1896 which carries passengers the 4.7 miles (7.6 km) from Llanberis to the summit station. The summit also houses a cafe called Hafod Eryri, open only when the railway is operating and built in 2006 to replace one built in the 1930s. The railway generally operates to the summit station from Whitsun to October. The daily running schedule depends on weather and customer demand.

a1085_snowdon_03

The name Snowdon is from the Old English for "snow hill", while the Welsh name – Yr Wyddfa – means "thetumulus", which may refer to the cairn thrown over the legendary giant Rhitta Gawr after his defeat by King Arthur. As well as other figures from Arthurian legend, the mountain is linked to a legendary afanc (water monster) and the Tylwyth Teg (fairies).

Ascents

The first recorded ascent of Snowdon was by the botanist Thomas Johnson in 1639. However, the 18th-century Welsh historian Thomas Pennant mentions a "triumphal fair upon this our chief of mountains" following Edward I‘s conquest of Wales in 1284, which could indicate the possibility of earlier ascents.

Snowdon offers some of the most extensive views in the British Isles. On exceptionally clear days, Ireland, Scotland, England, and the Isle of Man are all visible, as well as 24 counties, 29 lakes and 17 islands. The view between Snowdon and Merrick (southern Scotland) is the longest theoretical line of sight in the British Isles at 144 miles (232 km).

Snowdon has been described as "probably the busiest mountain in Britain"; a number of well-established and engineered footpaths lead to Snowdon’s summit from all sides, and can be combined in various ways. The circular walk starting and ending at Pen-y-Pass and using the Crib Goch route and the route over Y Lliwedd is called the Snowdon Horseshoe, and is considered "one of the finest ridge walks in Britain". The routes are arranged here anticlockwise, starting with the path leading from Llanberis. In winter conditions, all these routes become significantly more dangerous and crampons and ice axes should be carried. Many inexperienced walkers have been killed over the years attempting to climb the mountain via the main paths.

Snowdon Mountain Railway

Main article: Snowdon Mountain Railway

a1085_snowdon_05

a1085_snowdon_01The Snowdon Mountain Railway (SMR) (Welsh: Rheilffordd yr Wyddfa) is a narrow gauge rack and pinion mountain railway that travels for 4.75 miles (7.6 km) from Llanberis to the summit of Snowdon. It is the only public rack and pinion railway in the United Kingdom, and after more than 100 years of operation it remains a popular tourist attraction. Single carriage trains are pushed up the mountain by either steam locomotives or diesel locomotives. It has also previously used diesel railcars as multiple units. The railway was constructed between December 1894, when the first sod was cut by Enid Assheton-Smith (after whom locomotive No.2 was named), and February 1896, at a total cost of £63,800 (£6,442,000 as of 2014).

a1085_snowdon_06a1085_snowdon_04

Text from Wikipedia


Filed under: British, Ephemera, Holidays, Traveling Tagged: British Railways, Snowdon

The Life & Times Of Aunt Mabel – Part 22

0
0

106

Aunt Mabel is a real dresser, even when she is almost undressed. I am willing to bet that none of your aunts ever wear a head dress like that when doing the dishes. On the other hand, they probably wear more than a tiny apron, see-through knickers and rubber gloves as well.

Young Johnny, who took the pictures saw no reason to complain, but then again how he feels about his aunt’s knickers should be well known to regular visitors to this blog by now – Ted ;-)

Related Articles

The Life & Times Of Aunt Mabel – Part 21
The Life & Times Of Aunt Mabel – Part 20
The Life & Times Of Aunt Mabel – Part 19
The Life & Times Of Aunt Mabel – Part 18
The Life & Times Of Aunt Mabel – Part 17
The Life & Times Of Aunt Mabel – Part 16
The Life & Times Of Aunt Mabel – Part 15
The Life & Times Of Aunt Mabel – Part 14
The Life & Times Of Aunt Mabel – Part 13
The Life & Times Of Aunt Mabel – Part 12
The Life & Times Of Aunt Mabel – Part 11


Filed under: Humour, People, Tackieness Tagged: Aprons, Aunt Mabel, Knickers, see-through

From The Days When Flying Was Still Exiting

0
0

a1086_BOAC-Flying-boat-meal-1946-
Original caption from a BOAC ad from 1946:
Passengers on long-distance Empire flights will soon be enjoying four course meals, served 10 000 feet above the Mediterranean or Persian Gulf. In a specially equipped London kitchen, BOAC’s experts are completing experiments with novel “deep freezing” methods. They are aiming at perfection in pre-cooking, packaging and freezing at exceptionally low temperatures, BOAC will establish a chain of depots where air meals will be prepared and terminals in the Dominions will be equipped for catering on return journeys. Picture shows a captain of a flying-boat dining with passengers when nearing Lisbon, en route to America. They are enjoying a three course hot dinner cooked and frozen some days before it was put in a special heater and served piping hot.

Text from flashbak


Filed under: Aviation, Holidays, Transportation, Traveling Tagged: 1946, BOAC