Quantcast
Channel: Retrorambling
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.
0

This Week’s Girliemag Article – Liquid Manhunt!

0
0

ill_001heading

Hunting has customarily been thought of as a masculine pursuit and what a sad mistake this smug thought has been. The world around us is loaded with females who are full-time hunters, twenty-four hours a day. Their quarry: Men. Their methods: extremely polished. Their motives: many.

Read the whole article and see
the naughty pictures HERE

Warning: Nudity do occur in this article. If you are under age or live in a country where watching images of nude women for some reason is against the law  I take no responsibility if you click the link above. In other words you’re flying solo from here on – Ted ;-)


Filed under: Article, Glamour, Models & starlets, Nudes, The fifties Tagged: 1958, Cocktail Magazine

Janis Joplin Cutting “Piece of My Heart”

0
0

761_jjPhotographer Daniel Kramer captures Janis Joplin cutting her 1968 hit “Piece of My Heart” in New York. “Janis wanted a bottle of Southern Comfort, so I accompanied her to a local wine store, then she did a few takes,” he recalls. “It was an empty studio, there was no stage or audience, no one to work to — yet she was just incredible.”

Image and text: THE VIRTUAL MUSEUM FOR EVERYTHING ROOTS AND BLUES


Filed under: Blues, Facts, Music, Rock Tagged: Janis Joplin, Piece of My Heart

Lenna – Beautiful Daughter Of Geronimo c.1900

0
0

764_ann geranimo2

Lenna Geronimo was born in 1886 in Fort Marion, St. Augustine, FL, while her father was a prisoner there. The medical staff gave her the name Marion, after the fort, but she took the name Lenna upon returning to the Southwest. Lenna Geronimo, the daughter of Geronimo and wife Ih-tedda, a Mescalero Apache, was the full sister of Robert Geronimo, Geronimo’s only living son. Lenna was Bedonkohe-Mescalero.

764_ann geranimo764_ann geranimo3


Filed under: Facts, People, Photography Tagged: Bedonkohe-Mescalero, Lenna Geronimo, Native Americans

Sweden

0
0

From the 33rd edition of “XXth Century Health And Pleasure Resorts Of Europe” published in 1933

bok_front_small_thumb[1]_thumbGOVERNMENT- A constitutional monarchy on a democratic basis. The legislature is the Riksdag consisting of two Houses. The first Chamber has 150 members who are elected in certain large towns by indirect election and elsewhere by County Councils for 8 years. The country is divided into 8 groups of electoral areas, Cine of which elects new members each year. The second chamber of 230 members is elected by universal suffrage of both sexes over 24. Much of the parliamentary work is done by committees consisting of members from both Houses.

 

HEAD OF STATE: King Gustav V.
Area: 448,460 km2.
Capital: Stockholm. (Population about half a million).
Currency: 1 krona = 100 öre.
Population: About 6 millions.
Density: 15 per km2.
Weights and Measures: Decimal system.

To the tourist, Sweden offers beautiful scenery, vast forests, bathing, yachting, excellent fishing and shooting. Stockholm, the "Venice of the North ", is numbered amongst the most beautiful cities of Europe.


Filed under: Article, Facts, Holidays, The thirties, Traveling Tagged: 1933, Stockholm, Sweden

Round The World By Steam – 1889 “La Veloce Linea di Navigazione”

0
0

1889_Express Transatlantic Services

1889_Express Transatlantic Services_ill04La Veloce Linea di Navigazione Italiana a Vapore was founded in 1884 to run services between Italy and South America but can be indirectly traced back back to 1865 when Giovanni Lavarello started a line of small wooden steamers. The company was taken over in 1883 by M. Bruzzi & Co who formed La Veloce.

From 1889 German banks commenced acquiring shares in the company and by 1899 had gained a controlling interest. The firm of Fratelli Lavarello (sons of the original founder) was taken over together with their fleet in 1891.

In 1900 Italian banks and Navigazione 1889_Express Transatlantic Services_ill03Generale Italiana commenced buying out German shareholders and by 1901 the company was effectively controlled by NGI and the official name became La Veloce Navigazione Italiana a Vapore. La Veloce was absorbed into NGI in 1924 and was liquidated as a seperate company.

Ship on the poster

1889_Express Transatlantic Services_ill02
SS Stirling Castle

The "Nord America" was built in 1882 by J.Elder & Co, Glasgow as the "Stirling Castle" for Thos Skinner & Co, London. She was a 4,826 gross ton ship, length 418.6ft x beam 50ft, two funnels, three masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 15 knots when built.

Launched on 21/1/1882, she was used on the tea trade from China and was world famous for her rapid voyages. Purchased by the Italian company, La Veloce in 1883, she was fitted with accommodation for 90-1st, 100-2nd and 1,223-3rd class passengers and renamed "Nord America" but, due to her fame, was allowed to retain her original name as well. She commenced her first voyage from Genoa to South America on 13/11/1883 and in 1884 was named "Nord America" only.

1889_Express Transatlantic Services_ill01
SS Nord America

In 1885 she was chartered by the British government for carriage of troops to Suakin, Sudan and in 1899 was chartered to the Russian government and used as a troopship between Odessa and Vladivostock in connection with the Boxer rebellion in China. Rebuilt by Palmers Co Ltd in 1900, re-engined with less powerful engines to give a speed of 13.5 knots, accommodation altered to carry 90-2nd and 1,223-3rd class only, funnels lengthened and her three masts reduced to two.

On 27/5/1901 she started her first voyage between Palermo, Naples and New York and commenced her last passenger round voyage from Genoa to Naples and New York on 25/3/1908 (58 round voyages). In December 1908 she was used as an accommodation ship for survivors of the earthquake at Messina. She was then employed solely as a cargo steamer, and on 5/12/1910 while on passage from Buenos Aires with a cargo of horses, she ran aground on the Moroccan coast. She was refloated and towed to Genoa, laid up and was scrapped in 1911.


Filed under: Advertising, Article, Ephemera, Maritime history, Transportation, Traveling Tagged: 1889, Italian steamship lines, La Veloce Linea di Navigazione, SS Nord America, SS Sterling Castle, Steamship posters

1959 Joseso 520cc

0
0

751_microcar

Micro car made in Argentina under the protective ‘Second Five Years Plan’ carried out during the second term of Juan Domingo Peron.

It was a small affordable car for two adults and two children. Low in maintenance costs and fuel consumption. About 200 cars were made.


Filed under: Automobiles, The fifties Tagged: Argentinian cars, Joseso 520cc, Microcars, mini cars

Betty Andreasson Taken Aboard The Mother Ship

0
0

761_alians

On January 25, 1967, homemaker Betty Andreasson and her family were astounded when the electricity in their home suddenly went out and a bright red light shined in through their kitchen window. When the family looked outside, they saw five creatures"hopping" towards their house; the creatures then came straight through the solid wood door and instantly put the entire Andreasson clan into a trance.

The aliens were described by Betty and her father as being short and without usual human characteristics, and one of them was clearly the leader. They communicated only telepathically, and Betty felt calm and unconcerned even while everyone but herself and her father were in a state of suspended animation. Betty was then taken aboard a spacecraft and was given invasive (and sometimes painful) examinations. Roughly four hours later, Betty was returned to her family and the aliens released them all from their trance and hypnotized Betty so that she would forget much about her time on the mother ship.

I’m sorry to say that stories like these makes me laugh and strongly suspect that we have to do with people with a little too well developed lust for attention. No, I withdraw that, I’m not sorry – Ted ;-)

Text and image found at oddee


Filed under: People, Photography Tagged: Alians, The mother ship

This Week’s Softdrink – L&P

0
0

lemon_and_ paeroa_005Lemon & Paeroa, also known as L&P, is a sweet soft drink manufactured in New Zealand. Traditionally made by combining lemon juice with carbonated mineral water from the town of Paeroa, it is now manufactured by multi-national Coca-Cola.

Lemon & Paeroa can be found only in New Zealand and in specialty New Zealand stores abroad. The comically pretentious advertising slogan "World famous in New Zealand" has become a popular New Zealand saying, meaning that if the premise of ‘New Zealand is the only nation of the world’ is true, then the drink would indeed be world famous. The comic effect arises from the need for such an outrageous premise, for such a petty claim to fame.

lemon_and_ paeroa_004

Over the years attempts have been made to market variations, such as L&P dry. In 2005 "Sweet As L&P" with artificial sweetener aspartame was introduced with the modified slogan "World Famous in New Zealand since quite recently", the traditional product now being advertised as "World Famous in New Zealand since AGES ago".

lemon_and_ paeroa_003L&P is also often used as a mixer in New Zealand bars, particularly with Southern Comfort.

Although L&P itself is now made on the same production line as Coke’s other beverages, an L&P Kiwiana shop and café remains in Paeroa.

Analysis of Paeroa mineral water by Arthur Wohlman in 1904 revealed magnesium bicarbonate in a concentration of 73 grains to the gallon (1040 mg/L). In 1908 the property containing the mineral spring was purchased by Robert Fewell and his brother-in-law Frank Brinkler. Their company Paeroa Natural Mineral Water Company, bottled the spring water until 1915 when they sold the company to Menzies and Company who, in turn, opened a new factory in Paeroa in 1926. In the late 1940s lemon_and_ paeroa_001‘Lemon and Paeroa’ and ‘Paeroa and Lemon’ were both marketed. In 1963 Menzies and Co merged with Hamilton based bottlers CL Innes, and L&P took on the Innes Tartan as a motif on the neck of the L&P bottle. This continued until the late 1970s, when L&P was taken over by Oasis Industries, before it was, in turn, taken over by Coca Cola.

In the late 1980s, a collaboration of New Zealand music artists recorded a cover of Martha and the Vandellas song (Love is Like A) Heat Wave, to promote the drink.

In mid 2013 Whittaker’s chocolate released a new product in collaboration with L&P. Lunched with the tongue in cheek advertisement of a Whittaker’s delivery van sporting the brand’s iconic logo was ‘crashed’ into the iconic L&P bottle statue in Paeroa. Whittaker’s L&P chocolate is made of Whittaker’s 28% cocoa white chocolate infused with the essence of L&P and bursting with popping candy to give it real fizz.

Text from Wikipedia 



Help Needed
I need your help visitors, both in suggesting sodas and soft drinks from around the world and in giving your opinion on the ones presented if you know the product. And you can start with giving your opinion on the ones posted already or reading what other visitors have written  – Ted

List of Soft drinks and sodas posted already
Visitors soft drinks and sodas suggestions and comments


Filed under: Food & drinks, Soft drinks and sodas Tagged: L&P, Lemon & Paeroa, Sodas, Softdrink

Great American Cars Of The Forties – 1941 Cadillac Sixty-Special

0
0

The 1941 Cadillac Sixty-Special is primarily a great car of the Thirties, the last and most visually changed version of William L. Mitchell’s trendsetting 1938 original. But greatness transcends time, and this car also ranks as one the Forties’ proudest achievements.

ill_06

Mitchell was only 23 when his mentor, General Motors design chief Harley Earl, named him to head the Cadillac styling studio in 1936. That division had just launched its Series 60, a line of smaller V-8 models sharing the corporate B-body platform with Buick, Oldsmobile, and Cadillac’s "companion" make, LaSalle. It was conceived by division general manager Nicholas Dreystadt as a way to bolster sales by plugging the $900 price gap between the lagging LaSalle and the least costly senior cars. As the lowest-priced Cadillac since 1908, the 60 did spectacularly well, boosting division sales an astounding 254 percent and accounting for over half the make’s 1936 model year volume. But Dreystadt knew that a "medium-price" image was hurting LaSalle, so he decided to bolster the new line’s image by putting Earl to work on a special 60, roomier, more luxurious, and far more stylish than anything Cadillac had ever offered. Earl turned over the job to Mitchell. It was the young designer’s first assignment, and his execution was brilliant.

1941 Cadillac Sixty Special

The result appeared just two years later: a predictive four-dour sedan with close-coupled styling that marked a major departure for Cadillac and made everything else on the road oldfashioned. Built on a three-inch-longer (127-inch) wheelbase, the new Sixty Special shared the 60′s basic X-member chassis design and 135-horsepower, 346-cubic-inch "Monobloc" V-8, but stood three inches lower than any previous Cadillac. Running boards were conspicuously absent, brightwork restrained in an age when chrome was de rigueur, and fulsome "pontoon" fenders accentuated the long, low silhouette. Mitchell broke new ground by eliminating the traditional belt moldings, integrating the trunk with the body, employing ultrathin roof pillars, and framing the door windows with delicate bright bands.

ill_01ill_02

With its sporty yet dignified looks, the Sixty-Special was an instant hit. It bested the entire Series 60 line by 3 to 1 in 1938 model year sales despite a 25-percent higher price and availability of just one body style. Predictably, the 1939 model saw only detail styling and mechanical changes, but two new . variations appeared,a sunroof sedan and a limousine-like Imperial sedan with the sliding steel panel as well as division window. The following year brought a switch from Fisher to Fleetwood coachwork, a new Town Car model in both steel- and leather-back form, and a solid-roof Imperial. By this time, the Special’s styling influence was apparent throughout the Cadillac line.

ill_05

The standard Sixty-Special, which had listed at $2090 since 1938, went up to $2195 for 1941, yet it was a better bargain than ever. New rear fenders and front sheetmetal enhanced the crisply formal look and made the car appear almost all-new. Underneath were higher (7.25:1) compression, an extra 15 bhp, more torque, bigger brakes, newly optional Hydra-Matic transmission, and a more rigid frame with a one-inch-shorter wheelbase and wider front and rear tracks. Despite price competition from within a rearranged divisional lineup, the Special held to its previous annual sales of about 4000-5000 units.

The 60s became much less special for ’42, simply a stretched, though beautifully finished, version of that year’s massive new C -body Series 62 fourdoor. There was nothing wrong with that, but the change hasn’t been lost on today’s collectors. While a fully restored ’41 now brings at least $23,000, a comparable’ 42 fetches less than half that,and its postwar continuations go for even less.

Though the name would live on into the Seventies, the Sixty-Speical was never quite the same after 1941. But Cadillac never forgot the magic of the timeless original, and as long as there are enthusiasts to remember, this car’s great heritage will live on.


Filed under: Article, Automobiles, The forties Tagged: 1941 Cadillac Sixty-Special, Classic American cars

Thomas Andrews – Titanic’s Naval Architect

0
0

767_titanicThomas Andrews was born in February 1873 and for most of his working life worked at the shipbuilders Harland And Wolff who were responsible for building the Olympic class liners, one of which was the RMS Titanic.

Andrews began his time in the company through an apprenticeship, during which time he worked his way up through the ranks and eventually took the job of managing director and head of the draughtsman department. Andrews was the main naval architect in charge of the plans for the Titanic.

On the night that the Titanic went down it’s reported that Andrews acted like a true hero, helping many women and children into lifeboats as well as frantically making his way around the ship to try and ensure as many people as possible were safe. Andrews was last seen in the first class smoking room staring at a painting on the wall which depicted Plymouth Harbour, somewhere Titanic had been expected to visit upon her return.

Andrews body was never found and it’s thought that the likelihood is that he went down with the Titanic.

Text and image from EXPLORE THE TITANIC


Filed under: Facts, Maritime history, People Tagged: Naval Architects, RMS Titanic, Thomas Andrews

Honda Juno Scooters

0
0

The Honda Juno is a scooter. Two versions were produced, the K-series of 1954 (K, KA, KB), and the M-series of 1962 (M80, M85).

770_juno k

Juno K

The Juno K was a deliberately elaborate bike in 1954. It was Honda’s first scooter and would be competing with the well established Fuji Rabbit and Mitsubishi Silver Pigeon. It featured the first electric start, a full windscreen with a tilt-back sun-shade, and built-in signal lamps. It also introduced Fibre-Reinforced Plastic body construction to Japan.

Only 5,980 were produced in a year and a half. Kihachiro Kawashima, who retired as executive vice-president in 1979, remembered the bike as a "splendid failure": it was too expensive, the engine overheated, the FRP body was heavier than expected and made the bike underpowered and clumsy, the new cantilevered suspension was problematic, and customers did not like the motorcycle-style clutch operation.

The final Juno KB model can be distinguished by enlarged rear vents and new vents added to the windscreen.

Technology developed for the Juno K would be applied to later bikes. The electric start was re-introduced with the C71 Dream in 1957, and the new Plastics department under Shozo Tsuchida developed polyethylene components that would distinguish the Super Cub.

770_juno m

Juno M80/M85

The Juno M80/M85 was a different approach introduced in November 1961. Unlike the K-series, there is no upper windscreen, the engine is an exposed horizontal-twin rather than an enclosed fan-cooled unit, and the body construction is conventional monocoque steel rather than FRP panels over tube. The M80/M85 also introduced a clutchless Badalini-type hydraulic-mechanical transmission which would provide the basis for the later Hondamaticmotorcycle transmissions.

The M80 and M85 are essentially the same vehicle, with the M85 designation indicating a mid-year engine enlargement. The Juno was discontinued by year-end with only 5,880 produced.

Text from Wikipedia


Filed under: Facts, Motorcycles, The fifties, The sixties Tagged: Honda Juno K, Honda Juno M80, Honda Juno M85, Scooters

Round Britain By Railway Posters – Llandudno

0
0

llandudno

Llandudno (/θlænˈdɪdn/ or /lænˈdɪdn/; Welsh pronunciation: [ɬanˈdɪdnɔ]) is a seaside resort, town and communityin Conwy County Borough, Wales, located on the Creuddyn peninsula. In the 2011 UK census, the community, which includes Penrhyn Bay and Penrhynside, had a population of 20,710.

774_llandudn_02

Llandudno, "Queen of the Welsh Resorts", a title first applied as early as 1864, is now the largest seaside resort in Wales, and lies on a flat isthmus of sand between the Welsh mainland and the Great Orme. Historically a part of Caernarfonshire, Llandudno was formerly in the district of Aberconwy within Gwynedd.

History

774_llandudn_03The town of Llandudno developed from Stone Age, Bronze Age and Iron Age settlements over many hundreds of years on the slopes of the limestone headland, known to seafarers as the Great Orme and to landsmen as the Creuddyn Peninsula. The origins in recorded history are with the Manor of Gogarth conveyed by King Edward I to Annan, Bishop of Bangor in 1284. The manor comprised three townships, Y Gogarth in the south-west, Y Cyngreawdr in the north (with the parish church of St Tudno) and Yn Wyddfid in the south-east.

Great Orme

774_llandudn_04Mostly owned by Mostyn Estates. Home to several large herds of wild Kashmiri goats originally descended from several goats given by Queen Victoria to Lord Mostyn. The summit of the Great Orme stands at 679 feet (209 M). The Summit Hotel which is now a tourist attraction was once the home of world middleweight champion boxer Randolph Turpin.

A haven for flora and fauna with some rare species such as peregrine falcons and a species of wild cotoneaster (cambricus)which can only be found on the Great Orme. The sheer limestone cliffs of the Great Orme provide ideal nesting conditions for a wide variety of sea birds, including cormorants, shags, guillemots, razorbills, puffins, kittiwakes, fulmers and numerous other gulls.

This great limestone headland has many attractions including the Great Orme Tramway and a cable car system that takes tourists effortlessly to the summit.

774_llandudn_01

Transport

The town is just off the North Wales Coast railway line which was opened as the Chester and Holyhead Railway in 1848, became part of the London and North Western Railway in 1859, and part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway in 1923. Llandudno was specifically built as a mid-Victorian era holiday destination and is served by a branch railway line opened in 1858 from Llandudno Junction with stations at Deganwy and Llandudno.


Filed under: Article, British, Ephemera, Holidays, Illustration, Places, Transportation, Traveling Tagged: British Railways, Llandudno

The Life & Times Of Aunt Mabel – Part 3

0
0

030
This is a snapshot of Aunt Mable’s first husband’s parents when he told them
he planned to marry her.

007
And this is his parents after they were told the marriage ended after 56 days. Mabel’s husband (the first in a long line) filed for divorce because Aunt Mabel thought mixing cocktails was what was meant by cooking – Ted


Filed under: Humour, People, Tackieness Tagged: Aunt Mabel, Divorce, Marriage, Parents

Presley Enter The Silver Screen

0
0

768_presley_01

October 28, 1956 – On this day a HUGE Elvis cut-out on top of Paramount‘s marquee was unveiled. On the photo you can see that the cut-out is about to be covered up. The movie would not premiere until 2,5 weeks later. So in the weeks that followed, this cardboard Elvis Presley would take control of Times Square.

At the big premiere of Elvis’ first movie at the Paramount Theatre in New York. No expenses were spared in order to launch Elvis’ movie career and further deepen his already meteoric rise to fame in late 1956. He seemed to be all over the place at the same time (either in the flesh or in a cardboard version). And Elvis had now also arrived in Hollywood. Due to the clever marketing schemes by Presley’s management, Elvis ruled the media. And not just on the east coast!

Young girls were picketing outside the cinema the whole 2,5 weeks and apart from the signs mentioning local Elvis Fan Clubs, all other signs were clearly not a product of homemade creativity but merely the result of the very clever marketing scheme thought out by one Tom Parker.

768_presley_02

On the same day Elvis performed on the Ed Sullivan Show. The same fans, with the same signs, wearing the same EPE hats, lined up outside Studio 50 while Elvis was rehearsing. Way to go Colonel!

Text and images from ELVIS – Echoes Of The Past


Filed under: Hollywood, Movies, Rock'n'roll Tagged: Elvis Presley, Fans, Love Me Tender

A Bit Of Automotive Nostalgia

This Week’s Retro Recipe – Fleischbrühe

0
0

small_illThis is an old German soup that has been a hot favourite with countless generations of children. Since its ingredients consist of simple country fare, this recipe or a variation would almost certainly have been popular when Dr. Hoffmann wrote his classic children’s story, Struwwelpeter in 1844, from which "The Story of Augustus who would not have any soup" is taken. It is a poem that testifies to the importance soup played in a child’s diet. Though it is difficult to imagine that this particular soup would have been rejected by Augustus. Ever! This old recipe remains very easy to prepare, is full of nutrition and is a firm favourite with children.

Recipe HERE


Filed under: Food & drinks, Recipes, The seventies Tagged: Fleischbrühe, Soups

This Week’s Retro DIY Project – Oak Plate Rack

0
0

776_plate_rack

These plans for a Mission-style oak rack was published in Volume 14, Issue 4 of The Woodworker’s Journal July/Aug. 1990 and it is the perfect place to display those prized plates and cups or collectibles. A 10′ length of 3/4" thick by 6-1/4" wide stock will provide all the wood parts.

Description and plans in pdf format HERE


Filed under: DIY project, Retro DIY projects Tagged: Do-it-yourself projects, Mission style, PDF plans and drawings, Plate racks, Woodworking

It’s Him, It’s Him, It’s H………..

1950 Rolux Baby

0
0

758_rolux_01

The Rolux was a French automobile manufactured from 1938 until 1952.

The product of a Lyon company better known for making the New-Map motorcycle, the light car, also sold as a New Map, had a single-cylinder, air-cooled, two-stroke, 100 cc engine made by Fichtel and Sachs. The engine was mounted behind the driver with chain drive to the back axle. The body was an open two-seater with no doors.

758_rolux_02

In 1947 production moved to Clermont-Ferrand, and the company was renamed as Société Rolux, and the car became the Rolux VB60 or Baby. In 1950 the engine, now by Ydral, grew to 125 cc and a 175 cc version, the VB61 was also introduced. A proposed closed car was shown in 1946 but never reached production. Car manufacture stopped in 1952 after about 300 were made, but the company, renamed to Société de Construction du Centre and moving to Puy de Dome, continued making motorcycles and some small 3-wheeled vans.

758_rolux_03

Text from Wikipedia


Filed under: Automobiles, The fifties, Transportation, Traveling Tagged: 1950 Rolux Baby, French cars, Micra cars, mini cars

Pre-War Classics Of The Road – Part 39

0
0

1934 Hudson Convertible Coupé

1934_hudson

Virtually indistinguishable from its lower-priced running mate, the Terraplane, this Hudson Convertible Coupe dates from 1934. J Powered by a 31/2-litre, six-cylinder engine, it developed 80bhp. Hudson/ Terraplane sales for 1934 totalled 85,835, more than double the previous year’s total, but failed to prevent the Hudson Motor Car Company from recording a loss of $3.25 million.

 

1934 Lagonda Rapier

1934_lagonda

A much nicer small sporting car of the early 1930s was the Lagonda Rapier, which had an 1100cc, four-cylinder engine with twin overhead camshafts. It appeared for the first time in 1934, costing only £270 in chassis form; after the Lagonda company was reformed in 1935, Rapiers were made by a separate firm at Hammersmith, and a supercharged version was announced in 1936. Total production, by the time the last Rapier was built in 1940, had amounted to some 300 cars.

 

1934 Riley Monaco

1934_riley

The Riley Nine was, said enthusiastic owner Raymond Mays, ‘a really thoroughbred car in which the full meaning of the word "thoroughbred" plays a greater part than in any car I know’, However, by the mid 1930s, the saloon Rileys had put on extra weight at the expense of performance: this 1934 Monaco has steelpanelled coachwork instead of the fabric of the original Monaco, Although it was no longer faster than most of its contemporaries, the Monaco was still a strikingly handsome car.

 

1934 Steyr Type 100

1934_steyr

Austrian economy, the Type 100 Steyr, built between 1934 and 36, was a cheap 1.4-litre car with remarkable fuel consumption.


Filed under: Automobiles, Retro technology, Transportation Tagged: 1934 Hudson Convertible Coupé, 1934 Lagonda Rapier, 1934 Riley Monaco, 1934 Steyr Type 100