Channel: Retrorambling
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Ava Norring – Hungarian Starlet And Model


Born in Hungary in 1929, Ava Norring moved to the USA following her first marriage in 1948. Despite being dubbed "20th Century Fox’s Hungarian answer to Zsa Zsa Gabor", her only credited film appears to have been as Beatrice in The Snows of Kilimanjaro. These pictures are part of a spread by Robert Halmi from the June 1955 issue of Esquire magazine; the advert for the film appeared in the December 1952 issue of Photoplay.

482_Ava Norring_03482_Ava Norring_01482_Ava Norring_04482_Ava Norring_10

Text and images from VintageStuff – More Ava Norring pictures below.

482_Ava Norring_06482_Ava Norring_07482_Ava Norring_02482_Ava Norring_05


Enhanced by Zemanta

Filed under: Facts, Models & starlets Tagged: Ava Norring, Hungarian models, Hungarian starlets

Discreet And Tasteful

This Week’s Softdrink – Chero Cola


457_chero_cola_05The year was 1905 in Columbus, Georgia. The Hatcher Grocery Co, a family wholesale grocery business, purchased bottled drinks from a local bottler and resold them to its customers. Mr. Hatcher requested commission or compensation for handling the drinks and a dispute arose because of this from the bottler. Mr. Hatcher then came to a conclusion to buy no more cases from outside and produce and bottle his own drinks under his own labels.

A young graduate pharmacist, Claud A. Hatcher began by creating his own soft drinks in the basement of his grocery business. Originally called the Union Bottling Works, the first line of beverages was named Royal Crown, a ginger ale and the first cola was called Chero-Cola. Also produced were Royal Crown Ginger Ale and Royal Crown Strawberry. It remained Union Bottling Works until the name changed to Chero-Cola Co, and expansion led to a decision to incorporate the 457_chero_cola_04company. A charter was granted by Judge S. Price Gilbert in Muscogee County Superior Court of Columbus in 1912. Chero-Cola was to manufacture a line of syrups and concentrates to be sold to franchised bottlers under trademarks owned by Chero-Cola Co. Following years showed steady growth in sales, profits and company assets.

An application filed in April of 1914 to register the Chero-Cola trademark instituted a law suit by Coca-Cola that lasted years. In fact, litigation continued in one form or another until 1944 when it was won, setting for all times the right to use the word "cola" in the name of its beverages.

457_chero_cola_03Then came WWI and the Food Administration’s limitations on sugar usage. In response to this, Chero-Cola Co established and operated its own sugar refinery, using raw sugar it purchased from Cuba, operating for about three years. The sugar the refinery furnished did not meet the full needs of the company and was supplemented by the purchase of refined sugar. After filling to capacity every company warehouse in Columbus, the price of sugar dropped to a low of eight cents a pound in December of 1920.

To compensate, common stock was sold to raise capital during the years 1922-1924, however it was not until 1926 that the debts were finally settled. It was the company’s continuous growth prior to the sugar shortage and  depression that generated confidence in the business and its management, enabling the financing which enabled it to survive. Some other bottling companies were not as lucky.

During this time, Chero-Cola Co made a basic change in its manufacturing that has continued to the present day. Before, products were made and shipped as bottling syrup, with all the ingredients, including sugar, already added. The bottler had to only add water and carbonation. Now Its products shipped as concentrates, requiring the bottler to add sugar and water to the concentrate. One gallon of concentrate made 26 gallons of soft drink syrup resulting in savings of both container and freight costs, and giving the beverage a fresher taste.


When franchising bottling plants began in 1912, the first plants were in the southeast, with additions of about 25 new bottlers each year prior to WWI. The war and economy halted further efforts to expand. As from the beginning, the company, seeking to establish bottlers on a sound and permanent basis, had never been willing to grant a franchise or sell it products to just any bottler willing to accept them. Even so, by the end of 1921, there were over 200 plants in the organization and by 1925, there were 315 plants in 14 southern states.  During 1926 and 1927, additional plants were added, bringing the total to 463.

In 1924, Claud Hatcher overheard a route salesman enter the plant one day457_chero_cola_02 and describe a competitors tall bottle as being "knee-high." This phrase, to the receptive mind of Claud Hatcher, became Nehi, beginning the line of fruit favours which became so successful that in 1928 the company changed its name for the second time, from Chero-Cola Co. to the Nehi Corporation.

The Nehi Corp. was listed on the New York Curb Exchange. The company’s second major crisis occurred–the stock market crash of October 1929. Sales of  Nehi Corp. dropped one million dollars in 1930 from a previous year’s high of $3.7 million. Sales continued  downward until the bottom was reached in 1932, the only year in which the company had ever lost money. In the years following, expansion was made in the areas where there was no distribution and  its smaller unprofitable plants were consolidated, creating a stronger organization.

By December 31, 1933, the business was just beginning to stabilize when another tragedy struck, Claud A. Hatcher died suddenly.

457_chero_cola_01When H. R. Mott took office in 1934, having been with the company since 1920 and  vice-president of the Nehi Corp for several years, he was welcomed by a great amount of debt. His wish was to make the company debt free as quickly as possible, and keep it that way, by streamlining operations, obtaining credit extensions, and cutting expenses. A year later, he had achieved his goal.

During this year, Mott felt the company needed an improved cola product, and called the company chemist, Rufus Kamm, to make one. Six months later, a new cola concentrate was sent for selective market testing. It was successful and given the brand name of Hatcher’s original ginger ale, Royal Crown. A Nehi bottler named Grubb from Dothan, Alabama was one of the first to bottle the new Royal Crown Cola, later abbreviated to "RC".

By 1940, when H.R. Mott moved up to Chairman of the Board and relinquished the Presidency of Nehi Corp to C.C. Colbert, the company was profitable and growing fast. 1940 was also the year that Nehi stock was listed on the New York Stock Exchange, with the company’s products available in 47 of the 48 states.. C.C. Colbert served as president of the company from 1940 to 1955, during which time he directed the company in its most rapid expansion of sales and profits to date.

457_chero_cola_08During the years of World War II, the Nehi Corporation and its bottlers were again limited in their growth. But in 1946, Nehi Corp accelerated tremendously, enhancing its advertising by using entertainment celebrities. Bing Crosby, Joan Crawford (before inheriting Pepsi), Bob Hope, Linda Darnell, Joan Caulfield, Barbara Stanwyk, Rita Hayworth, Dorothy Lamour, Ann Sheridan, Gary Cooper, Lauren Bacall, June Haver, Claudette Colbert,  Mary Martin, Veronica Lake, Jeanette MacDonald, Paulette Goddard, Lisabeth Scott (who also did a Pepsi ad) in the 40′s and Art Linkletter in the 60′s. Robert Ripley was on the air for Royal Crown Cola every Friday evening on CBS. The "Saturday Evening Post" and "Good Housekeeping" carried color advertisements for Royal Crown Cola. In 1947, Hedy Lamarr was pictured in point of purchase signs.

Mr. Colbert was succeeded as president in 1955 by Wilbur H. Glenn, who remained president of the company until April, 1965. The Nehi Corp also underwent its third name change to Royal Crown Cola Co. And its history carries on. Royal Crown Cola, Nehi and a later product, Diet Rite Cola, are still bottled today. But it is the early years that hold the attraction for the collector of soda memorabilia.

Text from Soda Brands Pics & Info on Anglefire 

Help Needed
I need your help visitors, both in suggesting sodas and soft drinks from around the world and in giving your opinion on the ones presented if you know the product. And you can start with giving your opinion on the ones posted already or reading what other visitors have written  – Ted

List of Soft drinks and sodas posted already
Visitors soft drinks and sodas suggestions and comments


Enhanced by Zemanta

Filed under: Advertising, Food & drinks, Soft drinks and sodas Tagged: Chero Cola, Sodas, Soft drinks

Moxie’s – Comic Strip Background – Part 2


Moxie’s Café’s Regular Patrons – Part 1

Desiree Evelyn
Aspelund Eilertsen
Home Maker
Isabelle Jasmine’s
Francesca Harriet
Self-Proclaimed Medium
Desiree Evelyn’s
Isabelle Jasmine
Madeleine Michelle
In Love With
Aslak Armand
Street Vendor/Artist
Isabelle Jasmine’s
Lucinda Louise
Home Maker
Madeleine Michelle’s

Click the figures for more information

Filed under: Comix, Humour, Illustration, Moxie's - background stories Tagged: Moxie's, Regular patrons

Nice Follow-Up On The Teardrop

Özel Türkbas – Turkish Belly Dancer

The Farmer’s Daughter

Round Britain By Railway Posters – Hastings & St Leonards



St Leonards-on-Sea (commonly known as St Leonards) has been part of Hastings, East Sussex, England, since the late 19th century though it retains a sense of separate identity. It lies to the west of central Hastings. The original 484_st_leonard_01part of the settlement was laid out in the early 19th century as a new town: a place of elegant houses designed for the well-off; it also included a central public garden, a hotel, an archery, assembly rooms and a church. Today’s St Leonards has extended well beyond that original design, although the original town still exists within it.

The land that is now St Leonards was once owned by the Levett family, an ancient Sussex gentry family of Norman origin who owned the adjacent manor of Hollington, and subsequently by their descendants, the Eversfields, who rose to prominence from their iron foundries and widespread property holdings during Tudor times. Eversfields served as sheriffs of Surrey and Sussex in the 16th and 17th centuries and were later baronets before the family became extinct.

484_st_leonard_03James Burton, a successful London architect who had developed large areas of Bloomsbury and the houses around Regent’s Park, purchased land from the Eversfield estate in order to put into being his concept of a seaside resort. The land was part of Gensing Farm, and included a small wooded valley leading down to the sea. Work on the plan started in early 1826. It included a house for himself (West Villa: now 57 Marina); service areas were provided, such as shops and laundering (Mercatoria and Lavatoria), as well as public buildings for entertainment and the picturesque siting of villas amongst the wooded slopes and water of the central gardens, to be paid for by subscription.

484_st_leonard_04In addition he persuaded the Turnpike Commissioners to have the road leading to St Leonards included in the scheme, and arranged for the road through Silverhill to be built so as to give access. Before he died in 1837 St Leonards (Royal Victoria) Hotel, the South Colonnade, an archway marking the town boundary with Hastings, and tall seafront houses (as far as 71 Marina) had also been completed. His grave is marked by a pyramid in the churchyard above St Leonard’s Church. In 1850 his son Decimus (1800–1881) started the second phase of building, by acquiring more land and extending the development westward. He lived in the town for the remainder of his life.

484_st_leonard_07Decimus Burton became a Commissioner of the new town in 1833. He leased a triangle of land bounded by Mercatoria, St John’s Church, Maze Hill and Kenilworth Road. Here he built The Cottage (now St Leonards Lodge), Maze Hill House (demolished), The Mount (13 houses), The Uplands (6), The Lawn (10), and six semi-detached houses which later became a school (later part of the College but now closed for redevelopment). Later, in Upper Maze Hill he built Baston Lodge, Tower House and Clone House (now Healey House). He gave some land in Mercatoria for a National School, and completed his father’s seafront terrace by building 72 to 82 Marina.[citation needed] Modern (2006) photographs give a flavour of this development.

484_st_leonard_06The popularity of St Leonards, however, was not lost upon the town of Hastings. It had already begun to expand westwards, through Pelham Place and Wellington Square, and further building began. The Eversfield Estate, from whom the Burtons had bought land, saw the potential and it too began to sell off more space, having obtained an Act of Parliament opening the way for speculative builders beyond the Burton boundaries. As a result the area between the two towns began to fill with properties. In 1875 the two towns merged into the County Borough of Hastings, and by then the total seafront had reached some three miles (4.8 km). Soon after that, the Warrior Square and Upper St Leonards areas were being developed.

484_st_leonard_08By now the railways had arrived: the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway reached West Marina in 1845, although it was not until 1852 that the station later named St Leonards Warrior Square was opened by the South Eastern Railway.

Construction of the pier began in March 1888, and it was opened by Lord and rom Lady Brassey on 28 October 1891. Positioned almost opposite the Royal Victoria Hotel, the shore end had a pavilion constructed of intricate ironwork at the entrance so that visitors could drive straight to the door and avoid the seafront weather. There was also a tollhouse to the left of the entrance that 484_st_leonard_02was demolished by a storm on 12 February 1899. The far end of the pier had a building used for dancing, and later as a roller hockey rink. During the 1920s the pier was modernised and finally cut in half during the Second World War as protection against invasion. The remains were removed in 1951.

On the sea front stands an ocean liner shaped art-deco building known as Marine Court, which upon completion in 1937 was the tallest block of flats in the United Kingdom, comprising some 153 flats and 3 restaurants. Despite this claim to fame, entries to a competition to name the building show that it was not universally popular. Now a listed building, it has recently been bought by the residents after many years of neglect and is in the process of being fully restored.

Text from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Filed under: British, Ephemera, Holidays, Traveling Tagged: British Railways, Hastings & St Leonards

Philippe Halsman, Brigitte Bardot, 1955


French actress Brigitte Bardot photographed at her villa at La Madrague
by Philippe Halsman, 1955

437_bb_03437_bb_04437_bb_02437_bb_05 437_bb_06
Philippe Halsman (1906-1979) was born in Riga, Latvia, and began to take photographs in Paris in the 1930s. He opened a portrait studio in Montparnasse in 1934, where he photographed André Gide, Marc Chagall, André Malraux, Le Corbusier and other writers and artists. Halsman began a thirty-seven-year collaboration with Salvador Dalí in 1941 which resulted in a stream of unusual ‘photographs of ideas’, including ‘Dalí Atomicus’ and the ‘Dalí’s Mustache’ series. In the early 1950s, Halsman began to ask his subjects to jump for his camera at the conclusion of each sitting. These uniquely witty and energetic images have become an important part of his photographic legacy. Philippe Halsman died in New York City on June 25th, 1979.

Text from YOOX

Filed under: Actresses, Facts, Models & starlets, The fifties Tagged: 1955, Brigitte Bardot, Philippe Halsman

It Is Not A Palace

Austin History 1906 – 1952

More On The Kip Caravan



Jan Kip started his coachwork business in Hoogeveen, the Netherlands, in 1934. In 1947 he built his first caravan, which was for his personal use. Public interest in the caravan allowed him to build 20 caravans in the following year, some of which were hired out while the rest were sold. In 1949 the first standard Kip caravans were produced, and by the end of the fifties these were being transported by trailer to dealers.

In 1954 a new and unique model called the “Kuiken” appeared which was a small caravan with a remarkable rear hatch.


Keeping it neat and small still

Filed under: Camping, The fifties, The forties, Transportation, Traveling Tagged: Dutch caravanes, Kip caravans, Mini caravans

The Retro DIY Project – A Modern Desk


page_ill A modern desk with ample drawer space and an extension leaf to add to the working space. Build this one of walnut and mahogany, but less expensive woods can be used and the desk enamelled to match your interior decoration.

Description and plans
in jpg and pdf HERE

Modern might be an exaggeration as the plans are from April 1950 and was published in Popular Science ;-)

Filed under: DIY project, Retro DIY projects Tagged: Cabinet making, Furniture building, Modern desks, Woodwork

This Week’s Retro Recipe – ConsomméÀ La Royale



The word “consommé” literally means a perfectly refined soup. This recipe is a basic consommé, garnished with ‘royale.’ There are numerous variations of this recipe, each largely differentiated by the type of garnish. Escoffier lists over 70 different kinds. Consommé, it is worth remembering, represents perfection, pure and exquisite. No rustic country character here. Beautifully clear, it stimulates the appetite as no other soup can. Perfect for formal occasions. A triumph of haute cuisine. Bon Appetit.

Recipe HERE

Filed under: Food & drinks, Recipes, The seventies Tagged: Consommé à la royale, Soups

Sequin – Featured In “Beyond the Burly Q”


478_sequin_01Sequin is now Geri Tamburello, a soon to be 86-year-old grandmother living in the Ortega area. She was featured in a new documentary, "Beyond the Burly Q," a look at the glory days of burlesque by filmmaker Leslie Zemeckis, whose husband Robert Zemeckis (director of "Forrest Gump" and "The Polar Express") was executive producer.

Leslie Zemeckis, who’s also an actress, came up with the idea for the documentary after appearing in a burlesque-inspired stage show. "I realized that no one had really talked to these women, and I wanted to talk to them before they were gone," she said. "So many looked back on it fondly, that this was the highlight of their life. It was the attention, but also the camaraderie – this was their own special world. They lived together, traveled together, they had fun."

"Beyond the Burly Q" premiered at a film festival in Dublin before opening in New York last month. Zemeckis is hoping to sell it to TV before it lands on DVD.

To make the movie, she went out on the road talking to dozens of burlesque veterans, which led her to North Florida, to Tamburello.


Tamburello grew up in the Bay Area of California and used to accompany her father as he delivered booze to clubs. "And every little dive we stopped at, I’d get up and sing with whoever was there. I was a precocious girl – I sang every song: ‘Lady in Red,’ and ‘The object of my affection can change my complexion.’ "

478_sequin_02After graduating high school in 1945, she got her first real job, singing, in Oakland. "The place was swarming with sailors – there were plenty of jobs for singers." In the early 1950s, in Los Angeles, she began adding stripping to her act, with the help of friends who made elaborate sets and costumes. "Actually I did a pretty ladylike act," Tamburello said. "It wasn’t nearly as raunchy in those days as it is today."

She worked up and down both coasts and all through Ohio for the next five years before retiring from burlesque. She was a pretty big name, and when she had a farewell bash, the press came and Tony Tamburello helped put it together. After that, he helped her work up a nightclub singing act.

"Then we fell in love, I got married to him, and retired again." They had one child, Mary Jane, from whom she didn’t hide her glamorous past. Why would she, she says?


"It was a wonderful time in my life. I was a star! It’s good when you can say that."

Text (shortened) from JaxAirNews

Geri Tamburello has checked through the text for me and corrected a few mistakes. I’d like to take the opportunity to thank her for that here. A damned nice lady with a great sense of humour – Ted

You can meet Geri at The Geri Tamburello (Sequin) Fan Club on Facebook, but you need to apply for a membership invite.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Filed under: Article, Burlesque, Models & starlets, Nudes Tagged: Sequin.Geri Tamburello

London’s Tramways



There have been two separate generations of trams in London, from 1860 to 1952 and from 2000. There were no trams at all in London between 1952 and 2000.

Horse Trams

447_tram_02The first generation of trams in London started in 1860 when a horse tramway began operating along Victoria Street in Westminster. This first line was operated by a somewhat eccentric American, George Francis Train. Initially, there was strong opposition as, although it was popular with its passengers, the first designs had rails that stood proud of the road surface and created an obstruction for other traffic. This came to a head in 1861 when Train was arrested for "breaking and injuring" the Uxbridge Road and his plans were put on hold. Eventually Parliament passed legislation permitting tram services, on the condition that the rails were recessed into the carriageway and that the tramways were shared with other road users. Costs of maintenance of the tramway and its immediately neighbouring road carriageway would be borne by the tram companies, thus benefiting the ratepayers, who had been bearing the full cost of highway repairs since the abolition of turnpikes. Fares were set at 1d per mile, with half-price early and late workmen’s services. After a demonstration line was built at the Crystal Palace, the first lines authorised by the Act of Parliament in 1870 ran from:

Blackheath to Vauxhall via Peckham and Camberwell
Brixton joining the Camberwell line at Kennington
Whitechapel to Bow
Kensington to Oxford Street

447_tram_05The new tram companies all adopted the same standard gauge, with the intention of being able to link up services at later dates. Horse tram lines soon opened all over London, typically using two horses to pull a 60-person car. They proved popular as they were cheaper, smoother, roomier and safer than the competing Omnibus or Hackney carriages. Replacement by electric vehicles commenced in 1901; the last horse-drawn trams were withdrawn in 1915.

447_tram_06Underground Trams
There were plans to run an underground tram line between South Kensington and the Albert Hall but it was withdrawn in 1891 and a pedestrian only route, the South Kensington subway, was built instead. The Kingsway tramway subway did go ahead – this started in 1902 going from Theobolds Street to the Strand. In the 1930s, the arched tunnels were removed to accommodate double decker trams. The last tram using the subway system was 5 April 1952.

First Electric Trams
447_tram_03After the slow start, electric trams rapidly became very popular; by 1903, there were 300 electric tramcars in London, which carried 800,000 passengers over Whitsun weekend in 1903. The London County Council Tramways first electric line opened in May 1903 between Westminster Bridge and Tooting and the LCC sold 3.3 million tickets in its third year of business or five times the traffic carried by its horse trams. The LCC saw the electric trams as a way of driving social change, as its cheap, fast service could encourage workers to move out of the crowded inner city and live healthier lives in the 447_tram_07suburbs. Although the City of London and the West End of London never gave permission for tram lines to be built, soon other London boroughs introduced their own electric services, including West Ham, Leyton, Dartford and Bexley.

By 1914, the London tram operators formed the largest tram network in Europe but the onset of the Great War saw a halt in the expansion of the trams and thousands of staff left to join the armed forces to be replaced by "substitute" women conductors and drivers.

Several different companies and municipalities operated London’s electric tramways. The largest was the LCC, with lines equipped with an unusual form of electricity supply via an underground conduit located between the running rails. Other operators mainly used the more conventional overhead electric wires. Many of London’s trams had to be equipped with both systems of electricity supply, with routes being equipped with change points.

447_tram_04During their heyday, tram services covered much of inner London and reached out to the suburbs, assisted by facilities like the Kingsway tramway subway, which enabled the longest tram route entirely within the County of London to operate: a weekend service between Archway, then part of Highgate, and Downham via Brockley, 16 miles.

Route coverage might have been wider still but the terms 447_tram_08of the 1870 Act meant that the passage of new tramways had to be negotiated individually with local authorities, who would sometimes impose prohibitively expensive improvement works as a condition of approval.

After the Great War, money for investment and maintenance became harder to find, as passengers migrated to the new motor bus services. In the 1930s, The London United and Metropolitan Electric companies purchased a large fleet of modern double-deck Feltham trams, built by the Union Construction Company at Feltham. LUT accompanied this change by introducing electric trolleybuses using twin overhead wires as a cheaper alternative for 17 miles of its routes in 1931.

Text from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For London’s current tramways read HERE


Filed under: Article, British, Transportation, Traveling Tagged: London's tramways

Pre-War Classics Of The Road – Part 22


1921_gn1921 GN

one of the best-known and most successful of the cyclecars, the GN survived into the early 1920s, some 3000 having been built in England, and perhaps the same number under licence in France. At one time, a fleet of sixty GNs was used by the commercial travellers of the Cherry Blossom boot polish company; this 1921 GN is a Touring model.


1922 Lancia Lambda


Perhaps the most technically remarkable car of the vintage era was the Lancia Lambda, built in prototype form in 1921, first exhibited to the public in 1922 and in full production the next year. It combined a stressed, rigid monocoque body/chassis unit with sliding-pillar independent front suspension and a narrow-angle V4, 2120cc engine, with cast-iron liners in an aluminium block. Maximum speed was over 70mph in touring trim.


1921 Minerva

The Minerva, ‘Goddess of Automobiles’, was one of the finest cars to be built in Belgium. In 1921, Minerva introduced a magnificent six-cylinder model with sleeve valves, a feature of all Minervas since 1910. With a swept volume of 5340cc, the new Minerva offered silent refinement rather than outand-out performance. Typically, the instruction book told the chauffeur to replenish the torque tube every 2000 miles with a ‘wine-glassful of oil’.

1922 Detroit Electric 


Electric cars lasted longer in America than anywhere else, mainly because a poor road system still kept many motorists within city limits, even in the 1920s, and the limited range of the electric car was therefore not such a hindrance, The Detroit Electric was in production from 1907 to 1942 (latterly only to special order) and, although this 1922 brougham is little changed from pre-war models, later Detroits were disguised to look like petrol cars.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Filed under: Automobiles, Retro technology, Transportation, Vintage Science Tagged: 1921 GN, 1921 Minerva, 1922 Detroit Electric, 1922 Lancia Lambda

This Week’s Favourite Female Singer – Mickey Champion


486_mickey_championBorn in Lake Charles, LA, powerhouse blues singer Mickey Champion has worked with the likes of T-Bone Walker, Little Esther Phillips, Billie Holiday, Duke Ellington, Ray Charles, Jackie Wilson, and many others in her long but unfortunately largely unsung five-decade career. Discovered in L.A. (where she continues to make her home in the Crenshaw District) by bandleader and ever-vigilant talent scout Johnny Otis, Champion recorded several impressive R&B sides in the 1950s and early ’60s, none of which established her as a household name. The wife of bandleader Roy Milton until his death, Champion began recording again in 2000, releasing I Am Your Living Legend! that year, followed by What You Want in 2003, both on Tondef Records. She was the subject of a video documentary produced by Paul Vic and Oletha Rogers called Champion Blues, and in 2008 Ace U.K. issued her collected singles from the 1950s and 1960s under the title Bam a Lam: The R&B Recordings 1950-1962

These three recordings are from that Collection – Ted:

front Title:
Artist: Recording: Released: Genre:
I’m A Woman 
Mickey Champion 
Bam a Lam:The R&B Recordings 1950 – 1962
July 15, 2008
Jazz Blues / Jump Blues

Download: 05-im-a-woman-mickey-champion.mp3

front Title:
Artist: Recording:  Released: Genre:
I’ve Got It Bad
Mickey Champion 
Bam a Lam:The R&B Recordings 1950 – 1962
July 15, 2008
Jazz Blues / Jump Blues

Download: 06-ive-got-it-bad-mickey-champion.mp3

front Title:
Artist: Recording: Released: Genre:
I’m Telling You
Mickey Champion 
Bam a Lam:The R&B Recordings 1950 – 1962
July 15, 2008
Jazz Blues / Jump Blues

Download: 20-im-tellin-you-baby-nic-nacs.mp3

Text from allmusic.com

Filed under: Jazz, Music, Rythm and blues Tagged: Jazz blues, Jump blues, Mickey Champion

Ted’s First Smut

Victorian Inventions – Part 24


From “Victorian Inventions” by Leonard De Vries published by American Heritage Press in 1972


On 20th November 1895 the Call, a San Francisco newspaper, published an article under the title ‘Vessel to roll on the watergiving an account of a ship which, it was claimed, could compete with the fastest of trains for speed. The inventor, Mr Chapman, gave the following account of his vessel: the hold, bridge and passenger cabins seem to be squeezed between two gigantic rollers journalled [ i.e. on bearings] in gangways on either side of the ship. The interior of each roller is equipped with a narrow-gauge track on which a locomotive driven by electricity can run. As soon as the locomotive is set in motion, the huge drums start rolling, moving the ship in a forward direction. Very high speeds may be attained. Mr Chapman even claims that the top speed of his vessel will not ‘be much less than that of a modern, fast train so that the crossing of the Atlantic between New York and Britain may take only three days or even forty-eight hours while the passengers will also be virtually free from sea-sickness.

Yet another hairbrain idea that would never leave the drawing board. But it looks good on paper doesn’t it – Ted ;-)
Enhanced by Zemanta

Filed under: Art, Facts, Maritime history, Retro technology, Vintage Science Tagged: Roller vessel, Victorian inventions